Posts Tagged ‘tom labonge’

Hollywood sign given a reprieve

Wednesday, April 14th, 2010

HOLLYWOOD NEWS

Hollywood sign supporters get 16 more days to reaise funds to buy nearby land

 

 

Preservationists fighting to protect 138-acres of land near the Hollywood sign have been granted a reprieve.

 

They will have 16 more days to raise the $12.5 million needed to purchase the land from a group of Chicago investors. The deadline for the sale was Wednesday, but the owners agreed to extend it until April 30, according to Los Angeles City Council Member Tom LaBonge.

 

The owners, Fox River Financial Resources Inc., bought the land from Howard Hughes’ estate in 2002 for $1.7 million. They put it up for sale two years ago. The property is zoned to build four luxury homes.

 

LaBonge said $11 million has already been raised, and $1.5 million is still needed to purchase land. Two donors stepped forward Wednesday to help the effort.

 

Philanthropist Aileen Getty and the Tiffany & Co. Foundation said they would donate a $500,000 matching grant if the community raised $1 million. Getty and the Tiffany Foundation each previously donated $1 million to the campaign.

 

Over the weekend, supporters held a fundraiser at Lake Hollywood Park.

 

— Kate Linthicum, Los Angeles Times

________________________________________

 

Hollywood Santa Parade…

Monday, December 1st, 2008

Hollywood Santa Parade still sparkles at 80

 

About 10,000 people turned out Sunday for the 80th Hollywood Santa Parade. The event was canceled in March 2007 when the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce found it could no longer afford to produce the event. But the city of Los Angeles rode to the rescue and put on a renamed event last year that kept the tradition going. “This was something that I couldn’t in good conscience let die,” City Council President Eric Garcetti told The Times last year. “This parade is one of the last free things families can do.”

 

This year, organizers added a Winterfest street festival to the band-filled pageant.

_______

By Jean Merl
Los Angeles Times
December 1, 2008

 

Call it the parade that almost wasn’t.

 

When the annual Hollywood Santa Parade began shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday, it would have been hard to guess that the tradition dating back to 1928 had nearly faded into history a little more than a year ago.

 

The band-filled pageantry — which began 80 years ago as the Santa Claus Lane Parade and later was known as the Hollywood Christmas Parade — was canceled in March 2007, when its sponsor, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, found it could no longer afford to produce the event. It had cost $1 million in 2006 and had left the chamber with a $100,000 deficit.

 

But at the last minute, after months of lobbying by Hollywood holiday parade boosters, the city of Los Angeles rode to the rescue and put on a re-named event last year that kept the tradition going.

 

“This was something that I couldn’t in good conscience let die,” City Council President Eric Garcetti told The Times last year. “This parade is one of the last free things families can do.” (Unless, of course, they wanted to trade a curbside spot for a grandstand seat, which cost $35.)

 

This year, city officials partnered with Radio Disney and other sponsors to put on Winterfest, a street festival leading up to the parade.

 

The parade followed its familiar, U-shaped route along Hollywood and Sunset boulevards.

 

“I’m very happy to keep this great holiday tradition in Hollywood,” Councilman Tom LaBonge, one of the city’s most enthusiastic boosters, told City News Service.

 

“Long live the Hollywood Santa Parade,” LaBonge added.

 

Merl is a Times staff writer

jean.merl@latimes.com

____________________________

 

Hollywood Heritage Receives Eviction Notice…

Saturday, October 11th, 2008

L.A. orders Hollywood preservation group out of mansion

 

 

City says Hollywood Heritage ignored rules and rented out the Wattles Mansion for disruptive parties. The organization denies the events are a nuisance and says the eviction notice was a shock.

_______
By Bob Pool
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

 

NOTE: The following is from an Los Angeles Times article from September 20, 2008. A response from Hollywood Heritage follows on this blog and you can also check it out at their website, http://www.hollywoodheritage.org/

 

Hollywood’s leading preservation group has been ordered out of the community’s most prominent historic estate for allegedly ignoring city rules and renting out the mansion for disruptive parties.

 

Hollywood Heritage has supervised the famed Wattles Mansion for 25 years under an exclusive agreement with the Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. The city purchased the mansion for about $2 million in 1968.   (click on ‘Continue Reading’ for more)

_________

(more…)

Reality bites in Hollywood…

Thursday, August 7th, 2008

‘The Hills’ not a hit with Hollywood neighbors

  

 

A security guard strides toward the house on Orange Grove Avenue in Hollywood that is used by “The Hills” cast and production team. (Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times)

 

Quiet street’s residents complain about filming at the home of the young women whose career and life struggles are the subjects of the MTV series. Show staffers say complaints are overblown.

 

By Bob Pool
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 6, 2008

 

Hollywood is learning that reality bites.

 

Residents of a quiet neighborhood between Sunset and Hollywood boulevards are in an uproar over the ongoing filming of a popular television reality show that they say has turned their lives upside down. 

 

The Hills producers and city officials allege that the neighborhood unrest is overblown — and has been fanned in part by a resident of the street who produces a competing TV reality show.  (click on ‘Continue Reading’ for more)

  (more…)