Posts Tagged ‘McCadden Place’

The Origin of McCadden Place

Wednesday, May 5th, 2010

HOLLYWOOD STREET NAMES

McCadden Place

 

 

 

 

By Allan R. Ellenberger

 

McCadden Place is a street in Hollywood that runs north and south one block east of Highland with the northern most point of origin at Yucca Street until it finishes at Wilshire in the Hancock Park area. In between it meanders for several blocks and at one point disappears completely for one city block where Bancroft Middle School replaces it.

 

 

 

 

McCadden Place is named for William G. McCadden, a pioneer Hollywood real estate agent who was born in 1843 at Ellicottville, New York. In 1863 he moved to Fairmont, Minnesota and married Lorena Davis five years later. The couple had one daughter, Jennie (1873-1947) before Lorena died in 1893. In 1900 McCadden moved to Lake Valley, New Mexico. On May 23, 1903 he and Jennie arrived in Hollywood where he purchased a large tract of land just east of Highland Avenue. In 1907 he married Clara Beckley of Hollywood.

 

William G. McCadden died at his home at 1356 Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills on January 9, 1935. His funeral was held at the Hollywood Congregational Church with interment in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale.

 

 

Grave of William G. McCadden at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Vale of Memory, Lot 150

 

 

One famous address on McCadden Place is the house where Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) was filmed at 172 S. McCadden Place in Hancock Park.

 _________________________________________

 

Please follow and like us:
error