Posts Tagged ‘Hollywood Branch YMCA’

Hollywood Wilshire YMCA

Saturday, October 24th, 2009

HOLLYWOOD ARCHITECTURE

Hollywood Branch YMCA

 

Hollywood YMCA

 

 Hollywood Wilshire YMCA

1553 N. Schrader Blvd.

Hollywood, California

 

 

YMCA groundbreaking - LAPL

 Groundbreaking for the Hollywood Branch YMCA May 15, 1923 (LAPL)

 

 

By Allan R. Ellenberger

 

 The Young Mens Christian  Association in Hollywood broke ground at 1 pm on May 15, 1923 for the first unit of the Hollywood Branch YMCA building at Selma and Hudson Streets (now Schrader Blvd.).

 

Chairman W. J. Palmer assigned the honor of turning the first shovelful of earth to Dr. William H. Snyder, principal of Hollywood High School, and member of the committee of management of the Hollywood YMCA. He was followed by A. J. Walllace, ex-Lieutenant-Governor: W. S. Hunkins, chairman of the building committee, and F. E. Eckhart, president of the Los Angeles YMCA.

 

Rev. Samuel J. Skevington of Hollywood Baptist Church, expressed sentiments of solicitation and thankfulness in the invocation. He was followed by General Secretary Harry F. Henderson, who voice the hope that this spot would mark the rallying place for the boyhood of Hollywood, “in whose hands is the future of this community.”

 

The first phase of the building was officially dedicated on February 19, 1923 at 8 pm. F. E. Eckhart presided and Willsie Martin, pastor of the First Methodist Church of Hollywood, delivered the address and the Hollywood High School Orchestra provided the music.

 

 

YMCA 1930s

 Hollywood YMCA (1928 addition) in the early 1930s (LAPL)

 

 

 Hollywood YMCA - today

 Hollywood Wilshire YMCA as it looks today

 

 

Hollywood YMCA entrance

 

 

 

Hollywood YMCA

 

 

 

Hollywood YMCA-balcony

 

 

Hollywood YMCA 1928 cornerstone

The cornerstone for the 1928 addition of the Hollywood YMCA

 

 

Hollywood YMCA

 

 _________________________

 

Please follow and like us:
error