Hollywood Street Names

HOLLYWOOD HISTORY

Hollywood street name origins

Santa Monica Blvd. in 1906, looking west from Western Avenue

Santa Monica Blvd. in 1906, looking west from Western Avenue

By Allan R. Ellenberger

Have you ever wondered the origin of many of the street names in the neighborhood that you travel on daily? In many towns and cities the names date back to its beginning; the same is true of Hollywood. However, you won’t see a Chaplin Avenue, Garbo Street or Garland Way here. Hollywood street names originated before the movies came to Tinseltown with the founding fathers. Though you may not recognize many or any of the names, here is a list of Hollywood streets and their namesakes:

Ambrose Street — Ambrose Gregory, rancher

Vine Street — Through Cornelius Cole’s vineyard

Waring Avenue — Capt. Howard Waring, son-in-law of Cornelius Cole

Whitley Avenue — H. J. Whitley, subdivider

Wilcox Avenue — Harvey H. Wilcox, founder of Hollywood

Willoughby Street — Willoughby Cole, son of Cornelius Cole

___________________________________

Please follow and like us:

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Hollywood Street Names”

1. Stephen Jay Morris says:

I like to know what is the history behind
    Fuller Avenue and Martel ave?
    ______________________________
    I’LL SEE IF I CAN FIND OUT. THANKS.

2. Dave Allen says:

I would like to know the origins of Belfast Drive and Londonderry Place. Both names of cities in Northern Ireland?

3. Darwin Bloom says:

Gregory and Willoughby are both avenues.

4. Lee Higman says:

How about Higman Ave, one block long.

5. Allan Ellenberger says:

Thanks for letting me know. Never knew it was there.

6. Jay Harter says:

I’m looking for “Haines Ln” located in the Hollywood Hills, I know I saw it on a map many years ago. It was named after my Great Uncle Jefferson Houseworth aka Clarence Brown aka James Haines (Legal Name Change) and other names that I forget. I was hoping that someone might be able to help me locate Haines Lane or may have some information about him. Haines Lane was named after him as he owned the property located in the Hollywood Hills that he would eventually sell to a developer. Born Jefferson Houseworth in 1896 he left his home and family in Illinois at age 13, (1909) hopped a freight train to California and would later work for Mr. Walt Disney as an animator. He was a wonderful artist, I believe he also worked for Hal Roach Studios, Charlie Champlin Studios, and MGM. I know he wrote a couple of books, one that included information about Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks and other stars of that era. However, I’m not sure of the pseudonym he used. in the 2nd or perhaps the 3rd chapter of his life he became heavily involved with the Solar Power industry. He passed away in 1985 at the age of 89.

7. I know that Highland was named after Highland Price, supposedly by her friend/neighbor Mary Moll, but can you verify that that well known photo of her home/barn was definitely located near her strawberry farm on Prospect near Highland? I see lots of info that that’s correct but the LA Public library captions the photo as being on Prospect near Western. Any definitive proof that it was indeed located near Highland? I also saw a 1905 photo looking southeest from above Franklin that looks like the home with its windmill and water tower but it seems far west, just west of where the Roosevelt Hotel is today. Any definite word would be great. Thanks!

8. Allan Ellenberger says:

Hi Gary, let me see what I can research and I’ll get back to you. Thanks for the interest.
    Allan