HOLLYWOOD HISTORICAL MARKERS
Hollywood and Vine
Former Broadway Department Store at Hollywood and Vine. You can see the plaque as the dark square on the corner of the building in the bottom-center of the photo (Photo: Allan R. Ellenberger)
By Allan R. Ellenberger
Hollywood and Vine was marked for posterity on November 24, 1953 with the unveiling of a plaque set in the wall of the Broadway-Hollywood Department Store on the southwest corner of the intersection.
The plaque was unveiled in a noon-time ceremony by John Anson Ford, chairman of the Board of Supervisors in conjunction with Hollywood’s 50th anniversary. It was accepted by Edward W. Carter, president of the Broadway department stores and placed with the cooperation of the Historical Society of Southern California.
Also participating in the dedication ceremony were E. M. Stuart, general manager of the Broadway-Hollywood and president of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, and Harlan G. Palmer, publisher of the Hollywood Citizen-News. Music was furnished by the Los Angeles County Band.
Plaque on the corner of Hollywood and Vine (Photo: Allan R. Ellenberger)
HOW PLAQUE READS…
Hollywood was given its name by pioneers Mr. and Mrs. Horace H. Wilcox. They subdivided their ranch in 1887 and called two dirt cross-roads Prospect Avenue and Weyse Avenue. Prospect Avenue, the main artery, was renamed Hollywood Boulevard and Weyse Avenue became Vine Street. This was the origin of “Hollywood and Vine.”