The 10th Annual Dia De Los Muertos celebration at Hollywood Forever Cemetery
Saturday, October 24th, 2009
will be presenting its
10th annual Dia De Los Muertos Celebration.
Admission $10.00 – 12 years & under are free.
The celebration features:
- The procession will begin with an Aztec Ritual Blessing and will continue with a traditional “Oaxacan Burial” that represents the suffering of death and it concludes on stage welcoming the spirits to celebrate.
- The community honors their beloved that have passed away by creating altars as offerings throughout the cemetery.
- The 150+ Altars are entered in a contest. 1st prize $3,000, 2nd prize $2,000 and 3rd prize $1,000
- Art exhibit in the Cathedral Mausoleum featuring work by the Linares Family and many more.
- The world premier of the film “La Fiesta Eterna”, a film about the tradition of Dia De Los Muertos.
- Children’s Area where kids can learn about this ancient celebration though art, including traditional face painting.
- Expected attendance of 20,000+ people. (based on 2008 attendance of 20,000)
- Artists performing throughout the grounds such as Xavier Quijas, La Santa Cecilia, La Cafeteras and many more.
- Concluding with a concert under the stars given by world renowned singer/songwriter and Latin Grammy winner Lila Downs.
Gates open at 4:00 PM
Gates Close at 11:00 PM
Lila Downs at 9:00 PM
The public can call 323.447.0999
for more information.
Hollywood Forever Cemetery
6000 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90038
Contact: Liliana Rosas – 323.821.0785
Dia De Los Muertos is a 3,000 year old Aztec tradition, alternately referred to as “All Souls Day”, where it is believed the spirits of our ancestors and we, the living, can meet face to face for one day a year.
For more info on the festival at Hollywood Forever please visit
For more historical context visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead
Lila Downs is a world renowned singer and songwriter and Latin Grammy winner from Oaxaca, Mexico. For more information please visit www.liladowns.com
Hollywood Forever, resting place of Hollywood’s Immortals, has made national headlines with its innovative approach, including digital biographies, summer film series, concert series and more. For more info see www.hollywoodforever.com